Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cultural Differences Visiting Friends

Cultural Differences Visiting Friends
It’s important to learn something about other cultures before visiting friends, because often there are many impolite behaviors that people do without realizing them. Many of my customs from Colombia are similar to those of Canadians. For example, if friends want to come over, they need to remove their shoes because it’s the style that I adopted. They must call before visiting, because it’s really uncomfortable when people come without a call, and especially when I am having dinner. They should not visit after 9 pm. Another example is visiting for more than four hours, because sometimes I need to do something, or get up early in the morning, or even maybe I want to be alone. In addition, when people smoke inside the house, it is required to ask first. Also, I don’t like when people open the refrigerator looking and asking for food.

Besides that, it is not polite. Finally, the living room and dining room are the appropriate areas to see visitors because the other areas are private. Compared to Canadians, we have some differences, like Canadians don’t come empty handed if they will be eating or drinking. They may bring some flowers or wine. Also Canadians don’t like visitors to snoop in drawers, or the medicine cabinet. for all of this rules It's considerate to learn another cultures.

2 comments:

anna said...

Hi,
My experience tells me that at least Calgarians let their guests to visit and to see all parts of their homes including medical cabinets. Calgarians are very open minded and benevolent people.

Victoria Torres said...

I cannot believe it. It's very important to keep the distance.
I like respect in every ways.